New Media Project

Helping religious leaders become theologically savvy about technology

Founded in 2010, the New Media Project aims to help religious leaders think theologically about digital technology. We think leaders need more than primers in building websites and using social media tools. We believe that leaders of faith communities also need a larger interpretive framework for recognizing and evaluating what’s happening in communication today. Even though the major shift in patterns and tools of communication brought about by digital technology will have a lasting effect on the church, compelling theological interpretations of the shift have not yet been adequately developed. Nor do sufficient strategic frameworks yet exist to help faith communities move forward using technology in theologically responsible ways.

We aim to change that. 

Explore the project on this website: Read the blog, case studies, and theological essays. View the videos from our February 8, 2013 conference, Digital Church: Theology and New Media. Most of it can be accessed from the Findings page. Become part of the community talking about these things. Share your thoughts and insights, questions and ponderings through comments on pages and blog posts. Join our Facebook page or Twitter feed

Featured Posts

• Thumb wars

Posted Jun 28, 2011 | New Media Project

By Jason Byassee | I’d never had this happen before, but I’m sure more of it is coming. I was teaching Sunday School. I’d prepared the night before, used material from years of research, spiffed it up, and was giving it my best. I was even exposing more of myself than I generally do when I teach, talking about how the topic—prison ministry—had affected my own family and life.

Read Post | Comments (4)
  • The power of story

Posted Jun 24, 2011 | New Media Project

By Verity A. Jones | Powerful stories move us to act, reflect, engage, and respond. Have you ever noticed how many stories you encounter in a day? How many of us have reckoned with the power of our own stories to move others? When we talk about changing patterns and tools of communication we can sometimes devolve into dualistic thinking.

Read Post | Comments (0)

Nav