New Media Project

Helping religious leaders become theologically savvy about technology

Founded in 2010, the New Media Project aims to help religious leaders think theologically about digital technology. We think leaders need more than primers in building websites and using social media tools. We believe that leaders of faith communities also need a larger interpretive framework for recognizing and evaluating what’s happening in communication today. Even though the major shift in patterns and tools of communication brought about by digital technology will have a lasting effect on the church, compelling theological interpretations of the shift have not yet been adequately developed. Nor do sufficient strategic frameworks yet exist to help faith communities move forward using technology in theologically responsible ways.

We aim to change that. 

Explore the project on this website: Read the blog, case studies, and theological essays. View the videos from our February 8, 2013 conference, Digital Church: Theology and New Media. Most of it can be accessed from the Findings page. Become part of the community talking about these things. Share your thoughts and insights, questions and ponderings through comments on pages and blog posts. Join our Facebook page or Twitter feed

Featured Posts

• Tragic and triumphant technology stories

Posted May 29, 2012 | New Media Project

By Jason Byassee | Most of the writing I do on technology has an “on the one hand . . . on the other” sort of character. I hope that doesn’t grow predictable, or mean—or, in the immortal words of Mr. Miyagi, that “walk middle of road, sooner or later, squish, just like grape.” I do more of the vacillating in the essay I wrote for the New Media Project. For now, I wonder if the nature of tragedy isn’t to oscillate between poles. Eugene Peterson shows how this is so.

Read Post | Comments (0)
  • A virtual but real community

Posted May 25, 2012 | New Media Project

By Sherri Wood Emmons, guest blogger | A few months before my first novel was published, my editor suggested I set up a website where readers could find out where I’d be doing signings, read a sample chapter and reviews, and leave messages. He also suggested a “fan page” on Facebook.

Read Post | Comments (1)

Nav